Sunday, 15 December 2013

New York: Part One...




This is a slightly belated post but if you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you will know that I recently took a trip to New York. I’m going to do a few posts on this, as there is just too much to talk about! Firstly, it was an all girls trip, with my twin sister, mum and I, along with our dearest friends (who also happen to be sisters) and their mum. We flew out from Heathrow on Wednesday 27th of November, and arrived back in England on Monday 2nd of December and I don’t even know where to begin…



I guess a good place to start is with the flight; quite honestly I am terrified of flying. The last trip I took on a plane was to Jersey, well over 10 years ago. So when I woke up on the day of the trip I wasn’t excited at all. (This is terrible I know!) Talk about throwing yourself in at the deep end, a 7-hour flight across the ocean. We flew with Virgin Atlantic, and although I can’t fault the airline or their staff at all, for me, the less said about the flight the better!




We arrived at JFK at about 7pm, it was dark, rainy and freezing! Unbeknown to the rest of us, my mum and sister had arranged for a limo to pick us up from the airport and take us to our hotel, The Comfort Inn Manhattan. (Honestly, I don’t actually remember much about this, as I was pretty spaced out/still ill from the flight). We arrived at the hotel shortly before 9pm, and after 
checking in, all decided to get an early night!





Thursday was our first full day, we hadn’t realised at the time of booking that this was in fact Thanksgiving. As we don’t really have Thanksgiving here I didn’t really know what to expect, but it was an amazing experience. The whole city was full of life, with a real holiday atmosphere. Our friends’ relatives live just outside the city so we met them in Central Park, and all stood with the crowds watching Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade. 





People were laughing, celebrating, singing and dancing, whilst the parades trademark balloons were pulled along the city streets. It was somewhat bizarre seeing the likes of Fall Out Boy and Jimmy Fallon joining in the fun alongside Sesame Street and a giant inflatable Spongebob Squarepants.










Once the parade had finished we left the city for the suburbs, and had a traditional Thanksgiving dinner at our friends relatives house. Complete with Pecan and Pumpkin Pie.






Once we had eaten to our hearts content we took the train back to New York City, arriving in Grand Central station. This building is quite something, I’ve seen it in films yes, but to be there in person is a totally different experience. It is bustling with people, whilst at the same time being calm and inviting. The ceiling maps out the constellations, whilst huge stain glass windows reflect colour across the hall.




 Our final stop on our first day in the city was The Empire State Building. Under the blanket of a crisp, winter night we took the lift to the top to see the whole city mapped out by lights beneath us. The view is just breath-taking, and you almost can’t believe that what you are seeing is real, and not just animated on a screen.  I almost can’t describe what it felt like being stood up there, it was incredible.











And so, our first day in New York draws to a close, tired we made our way back to the hotel, bed beckoned…  

No comments:

Post a Comment