Thursday, 11 December 2014

Weekend in London



















Hello again, long time no see!

I apologise for neglecting my blog; I have been so busy lately that I just haven’t found the time to sit down and update it. So, what have I been up to?

If you follow me on Instagram then you will know that several weeks ago I went to London for the weekend. My sister, mum and I decided to go for a nice girly weekend in the city and booked to stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

We arrived on Saturday and after checking our bags into the hotel we went off to explore. Our first destination was Covent Garden; I wanted to take my sister there, as she had never been. If you’re in London you must go; the boutique shops are delicately tucked inside the historic market buildings. Covent Garden feels charming and unique.  For lunch we headed to Joe’s Southern Kitchen & Bar, which is inside a converted warehouse. Joe’s is two floors full of delicious, Deep South food. I went for the ‘Big Apple Hot Dog’ with Pulled Pork… Oh my goodness it was so good. The Mac ‘n’ Cheese with spinach was a bowl of heaven, a golden crust covered gooey, cheesy pasta. YUM!

After lunch we went to the Tower of London to visit the poppies, all 888,246 of them. It was an incredible sight, each poppy representing a British fatality during the First World War. The display was beautiful; my photographs don’t do it justice. It was a remarkable tribute to some remarkable people. A final stroll along the Thames was a lovely way to end the day.

Sunday was “Shopping Day”; The Cumberland is the perfect place to stay if you plan on spending a lot of time on Oxford Street. Step out of the door and you are there! We went to all of the usual suspects: Carnaby Street, Selfridges and Liberty. Liberty is just stunning, an architectural gem hidden amongst the modern world.  Sunday seemed to fly by, before we knew it the sun had set and the lights looked so pretty. We headed back to the hotel with tired feet and tired eyes, pyjamas were put on and room service ordered!

Monday was our last day in London and we had booked tickets to visit an exhibition in the Victoria and Albert Museum: Wedding Dresses 1775-2014. I will always have a soft spot for the V&A and still can’t believe that it is totally free to visit, with the exception of some exhibits. It is a Culture-Vulture’s dream, so much to look at and take in. The Wedding Dress exhibition did not disappoint, the dresses were all beautifully unique. One that particularly stood out to me was the John Galliano dress, worn by Kate Moss. The bottom of the dress is covered with delicate gold beading, into which the feathers of a phoenix appear to fall. It looked as if she had danced through liquid gold, simply stunning.
Our final stop before heading home was Harrods, where my sister couldn’t resist a little trip to Mulberry. After all that shopping and sightseeing we were ready to head back home. We had such a lovely weekend, just us girls together.

If you want to go away for the weekend don’t underestimate what our cities have to offer, there is so much to do and see! I’d love to go to Edinburgh one day, maybe next time ay?

xx

2 comments:

  1. such a gorgeous scenery! hope you had a great trip :)
    lets follow eachother! just let me know and I will follow back :)

    - www.angelaah91.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sure thing, I've just added you on Bloglovin :)

      Delete